STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS
Reviewed 16 September, 2019
Centerstone Inn & Suites Carlyle was legitimately the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. I realize you can’t expect much from a 2-star hotel, but our experience was totally inexcusable. We traveled to Carlyle as my husband was competing in a triathlon at Carlyle Lake, and this was the only accommodation that still had rooms available. This is where the nightmare begins...
1. We arrived at the hotel to a hastily scrawled note at reception stating there was NO HOT WATER. Had we known this before our arrival, we would have demanded a refund and booked accommodation outside of Carlyle- even if it meant driving an hour to and from the triathlon! To make matters worse, when the female manager called me to confirm our reservation ONE HOUR before we checked in, there was zero mention of the issue. This is despite them having had no hot water for a whole week (and likely to be without for the rest of the month). I brought this up with her, to which she replied, “sometimes these things slip my mind”. They offered a pathetic 20% discount to be refunded onto our credit card (which had already been charged before we arrived) “sometime next week”, but it would take a while as they had “no idea how to do it". Why charge our card the full amount in the first place? Why not charge us the discounted amount….? STRIKE ONE.
2. We then entered the room to find 3 dead cockroaches on the floor. STRIKE TWO.
3. I then walked into the bathroom to find a pile of dirty, used towels on the floor. STRIKE THREE.
4. The carpet was filthy (dog hair, dirt, food) and looked like it hadn't been vacuumed in weeks.
5. 1 of the 2 TV’s didn’t work.
6. Every surface was covered in dust and dirt.
7. The pool that was advertised on their website was closed, and half filled with black, stagnant water.
8. The bed linen had cigarette burns in it and the pillow cases smelt mouldy. Based on our experience so far, we didn't trust them to give us clean pillowcases, so we walked across the road to Walmart and bought a pack of 2 for $5. Best thing we did all weekend.
9. Management was an absolute joke- rude, unhelpful, dishonest, and downright shameful from start to finish. Upon checkout at 6am the next morning (we couldn’t get out of their fast enough), neither of the managers were there so we dealt with one of the employees who was very kind and sweet! I felt so sorry for her as she stood there in tears explaining to us that she had been left there alone all night despite only having started the job 4 days prior... Not only that, she’d been working since 6 o'clock the previous day and was feeling the wrath of all the disgruntled customers while the owners sat back at home and counted their money. What these managers did (a married couple name Raj and Pam) was not only cruel, but also illegal. We never met the husband, but from our experience with Pam, I literally can’t fathom how this place is still standing.
A few other noteworthy things we learned from our stay:
- These owners took over the hotel a couple of weeks ago after the previous owners left, and despite knowing it would not be ready to house guests (no gas/hot water, unclean, dirty and broken facilities etc.), they decided to take everyone’s money and open anyway. According to an employee, this was because a large group had already booked months ago for a local wedding and the triathlon was on too. Talk about greedy and unethical.
- A family with a disabled son had booked an accessible room and when they arrived, were told there wasn’t one for them. There are no words….
- An employee watched as Pam (the female manager), knowingly double-booked rooms over the phone for poor unsuspecting people, while also failing to communicate the lack of hot water on the premises.
- When we checked out initially, the inexperienced employee on shift didn’t know how to print off a receipt or any other relevant paperwork (which was understandable-she’d never been shown how to!). We returned a few hours later after the triathlon to speak with the manager and request a receipt for the room, in addition to written confirmation that we would be receiving a partial refund. But of course, the manager did not know how to print off any documentation! It was at this point I realized that unless I asked for a check to be cut then and there, I’d probably never see my money ever again. After some back and forth, I left with a check in my hand, which I immediately banked to make sure it wouldn’t bounce.
Overall score: MINUS INFINITY STARS
Reviewed 20 July, 2019
I had stayed in this hotel years ago and though I knew it was basic, I expected it to be clean. When we arrived we were dismayed to see weeds over 3 feet high all over the property, and no cars in the lot. Inside the lobby, the couches were stained and dirty, so we asked to see the room before we checked in. We were taken to a room with an overpowering smell of mildew. I had made a reservation online but told them politely we had allergies and had to decline the room. We were told we would be charged for the full stay, 2 nights. Indeed, the charge for the full stay hit our card plus an unexpected and unknown charge for 77.00. After an investigation by my credit card company the charges were removed. Traveler beware! This hotel had a 7.2 rating. I don't know who is staying here to rate it so highly but I would sleep in my car before I would stay here. This hotel owner does a disservice to the nice town of Carlyle.
It's a place to stay
Reviewed 20 May, 2019
It's been a couple years since last time here and it has gone down hill a bit.
It's clean enough and the bed is comfortable. The main necessary things worked - I can't report any maintenance issues, which is more than I can say for several places I've been in the last year.
It has a fridge and lots of TV channels. It is very well located with several large fast food chains within 5-6 blocks including one of nation's largest literally across the main road. Lake is close but a fair size walk. Large chain dept store 2 min walk. Small outdoor pool right out side door.
Also, as prices go, this is not an expensive hotel, but it is also not bargain basement.
But the little things...
1) No breakfast food in sight at about 8:30 AM Monday. (There was evidence that it was sometimes there.) That may be because I saw no other guests.
2) Coffee in public area was horrible - weak and lukewarm.
3) The WiFi was horrible. Several times I had emails fail to load. Again - no other guests in sight evening or morning.
4) Bath towels were so thin they hardly dried you.
5) Both room keys failed to work first time and had to be reprogrammed.
6) No one ever at front desk, but apparently in some back room.
7) Room cleaning cart left in hallway next to vacuum which looked like it had been abandoned rather than put away. Cord lying on floor rather than put away.
8) All unused guest rooms doors not completely closed which strikes me as potential security issue since building front door is unlocked most of the day.
8) Bushes outside encroaching on sidewalk to side door and this in mid-May.
9) Room decor faded.
10) Parking lot is a little rough, but mostly serviceable.
Lock up your valuables!
Reviewed 4 September, 2018
Make sure you lock your valuables in your vehicle (purse, wallets, etc.) or take them with you upon leaving your room!
Otherwise, it could have been an enjoyable experience! Pool was very clean (trying to get to the ridiculous 200 character submittal minimum).
Bread in the Bed
Reviewed 1 July, 2018
By far the worst hotel experience of my life. My friends and I booked joined rooms here for a weekend wedding. While checking their bed for bed bugs (any normal person would after seeing the rooms) my friends found a half eaten sandwhich under their mattress. Upon discovering this atrocity we contacted the hotel staff to try to resolve the issue. Instead of being helpful, kind, or offering help or a discount as any decent manager would, Dennis (the manager) was verbally absuive to my friends and threatened to sue us for libel if we spread this information. In addition to being completely devoid of any legal logic, this was nothing but a misogynistic attempt by a grown bum of a man to intimidate a 20 year old girl. The rooms are disgusting, the staff is rude, and the management is beyond pathetic. No matter what you do and no matter how desperate you are DO NOT under any circumstances stay at this hotel.