Hotel has changed for the worst since the upgrade. Holiday Inn vibe now
Reviewed 21 September, 2021
Since the hotel was renovated: Good and the Bad
1. The new modern tower has it's own lounge. There is a nice bar and plenty of seating
2. They have an adults only pool and hot tub area so if you want to avoid kids, you can now.
3. The valet drivers are very nice and are many of the same people who have worked there for years. I recognized two of the valets and they remembered me.
4. Close proximity to Whalers Village and great beach
5. Starbucks on the main floor with plenty of seating
1. No more hot tubs for kids. They eliminated the two hot tubs next to the pool on the main floor. Under 18 and want to go in a hot tub, too bad
2. The food at the restaurant near the bar when you first enter the pool is horrible. What was once an upscale small restaurant turned into a cheap cafe with really bad food; no joke it tasted worse than a Dennys IMHO.
3. The ambience changed. There used to be kind of an upscale feel to this hotel. Now it feels crowded with bad service and attendants who don't smile and don't want to be there.
4. They don't check wrist bands like they used. I could have stayed at another hotel and walked into their pool area and enjoyed the amenities without any fear of being caugh. In the past, employees would constantly check for wrist bands and ask you to show them to minimize people freeloading in the area.
5. Towel Service sucks. In the past, if you had a wrist band, you walked up to the cabana and received as many towels as you needed. You didn't have to return a towel to get a towel. My little girl got out of the pool and was cold. I asked if I could get a towel and the rude attendant said I had to return a towel to get one (even wearing a wrist bad and showing I was a guest)
6. Cabana service was lousy. We rented a private cabana near the pool. In the past when we did this, you had an attendant who would stop by often. They would chat with you and get to know you. Anything you needed, they would get it immediatley. This time, we were rarely checked upon. You had to ask someone to bring your waiter to you. A young girl would come to you and ask if you needed anything when you asked for something, she said she couldn't bring us food or drinks and would have to get our waiter. Then you wait another 15 minutes. They wouldn't retrieve their towels that we placed on the ground.
7. Maid service was poor. They didn't stop by our room. I called room service to make our room. They said they would send someone. We leave for the day. We arrive later that evening, and the room was still not made
8. The showers in the ultra modern new tower was not enclosed. Yes, that's right. No door or enclosure. Water leaked. If you have to bathe kids, good luck with that. The water was also not hot.
Conclusion: I've stayed at this hotel 3 times. It is nowhere near the same experience I had in the past. I realize you get what you pay for. I will spend more money and stay at the Four Seasons. During this trip, we stayed at the Four Seasons, and that hotel knows how to train their employees and their managers are skilled. In my opinion, this hotel is grossly mismanaged.
Beautiful property, pleasant employees, poor management
Reviewed 18 September, 2021
Front desk would not honor the confirmed room type. If you receive an upgrade to the new tower, be advised your room location does not include full amenities even though the lanai access amenity is clearly written on your confirmation. Front desk manager said it is a "technical glitch." They are happy to correct for an extra fee of $150 per night. I am a titanium elite and used points to reserve room. If you stay here beware of the poor management customer service and disregard for Westin customer loyalty. As for the upgraded tower, it is nice, but not worth the extra points or $$$ in my opinion.
I gave a three star rating only because employees at the hotel were friendly and courteous despite the poor example set by Front desk manager. The hotel grounds are beautiful.
Its a nice hotel, good location, a little crowded.
Reviewed 15 September, 2021
Westin Maui. is a great family resort and we saw a lot of honeymooners as well. It is right on Kaanapali beach next to whalers Village. It can be crowded on the walk path around sunset and the restaurants fill up fast. We highly recommend reservations well in advance. The hotel is mostly outdoors. Giant lobby. Waterfall. Kids pool and adult pool. Service is laid out nicely. Never a big wait for your Hawaiian cocktail. They also have cabanas you can rent in advance. Have fun. Aloha
Amazing stay - already planning to return
Reviewed 14 September, 2021
My husband and I stayed at the Westin Ka’anapali for 8 days on our honeymoon. We did part of the stay on points. Overall, we really enjoyed this resort and the quality of its amenities. I will echo other reviewers that the check-in process needs some work. We had issues at first with the front desk rep saying we had insufficient points for the stay, not recognizing the points had been withdrawn from our account weeks prior. Additionally, it was impossible to hear the person between the plexiglass, waterfall, and broken intercom system. Ultimately, we visited Caroline at the elite counter later on to get the things we needed like a map of the resort, shuttle schedule etc. If you have elite status, wait to check in with Caroline - it’s worth it!
Everything at this hotel has been recently updated. The pools are amazing with options for both adults and kids. We rented a cabana most days for guaranteed shade and had wonderful service from the staff each time. On windier days, you can’t raise the umbrellas poolside. Food on property was really outstanding. You have a market for grab and go options including acai bowls and hot breakfast in the morning, two restaurants, and a Starbucks. You are a stone’s throw from Whaler’s Village and the resort offers shuttle service to multiple stops in Lahaina which we took advantage of. Our stay felt like pure luxury and we were able to relax and unwind thanks to the effort that the staff here has put into the overall experience.
For the COVID conscious, the resort lobby and many of the common areas are completely open air and I did see on multiple occasions the staff stop guests to reinforce the mask policy.
Don’t stay here! Terrible service at front desk, rude and dismissive, The worst experience we’ve ever encountered.
Reviewed 10 September, 2021
We booked three nights as Marriott Bonvoy elite members on points. We have a confirmation and an email trail that confirms we had three nights booked on points and when we got to the front desk they would not allow the first night to be used by points despite our confirmation and wanted to charge us $893 for one night plus the resort fee and plus the $35 self parking charge which would put the one night at over $1000. Although we had a confirmation email it did not show up on the reservation when we got to the hotel and they would not honor our points. The situation quickly escalated and they were dismissive and rude and it was a firm no even though we showed them the email trail and the confirmation. They said there was a mistake on the reservation side but that is not our error that is theirs and they wouldn’t honor our points. We asked for the Director of the hotel she came down and was even more rude to us than the first person we spoke to, we will never stay at another Westin again and I cannot believe they treated us like this and now we are scrambling to find a hotel as I refuse to pay $1000 for one night. Thank you Westin for ruining our first day of vacation and 25th wedding anniversary. We are contacting Marriott corporate about this and I hope that Director loses her job..Aloha Westin hotels, NEVER AGAIN! DO NOT STAY AT THIS OVERPRICED AND UNBELIEVABLY POORLY RUN HOTEL! We are so angry and scrambling to find another hotel… Thank you for starting our vacation on a frustrating and sour note.